Recipe Type: Drinks
- 2 Thai young green coconuts
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water kefir grains
- Lemon or ginger to taste
- Open the coconuts using either a hammer and screwdriver or coconut opener.
- Pour the coconut water through a milk bag and into a quart jar. Use a funnel on the jar so you don’t spill the coconut water.
- Fill the jar three-quarters full. Make sure the coconut water is clear. If the water is pink, it is rancid.
- Add fresh kefir grains to the coconut water.
- Put a milk bag (or cheesecloth) over the top of the jar (secure with a rubber band) and place in a warm place.
- Ferment for 24 hours.
- The water will turn milky white.
- Once the kefir is done, strain it through the milk bag and store the mother culture in the refrigerator in a jar of pure water until you are ready to use again.
- You can drink it as-is or add fresh ginger juice and a touch of lemon for flavor.